Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Durand Bernarr: The New


Durand + J*Davey= Refreshing Artistry


Okay, aside from being hooked on the whole formula-thing {something I like + easy to do= you'll see it often} I'm also hooked on discovering "The New". You know what "The New" is. It's the combination of delightful anticipation and pleasure of experiencing the tangible thing that you never knew existed. I call it The New and yes I am an addict.


While reading reports about pest control {don't ask} I logged onto YouTube to listen to some of my favorite J*Davey music. Now don't take this the wrong way but don't feel so bad if you haven't heard about J*Davey. Truth is that most people haven't but when you finally hear their music you'll never forget it. I heard my first J*Davey track a few years ago {thanks FREE Magazine} and I've been on these kats ever since. As great as J*Davey is they are not the reason I'm posting this mini installment. I came across this dude named Durand Bernarr and I haven't been able to read another sentence within my pesky pest control reports since. Durand has officially made my train of logic jump off the tracks.

No offense to Durand but at first glance you wouldn't expect such a well-developed voice, full of character and control to burst out. It more than bursts it deceptively intertwines you and by the time you realize it your jaw has hit the floor. You might as well give up by then because he's gotten you. You're bobbing your head while being pleasantly amused. Well that's what happened to me.

There are a series of Durand videos online and he even has a few tracks on his Myspace page but I'm particularly smitten by the candid videos of him covering some of my favorite J*Davey tracks on YouTube. He's dope and silly which is a dangerous combination because he's always in the position to prove assholes wrong {I think most gifted people are always in this position...myself included}. Homeboy is the positive personification of why I don't listen to the radio {especially down here in ATL...more on that later}. I would've never found out about his fresh, untainted talent if I relied on "V 1-0-whatever " or "W-90-give me a break" to supply my "New" fix when it comes to music.

Keep singing...I mean sangin' D. It's {blessings, success, fame, artistic fulfillment, creative recognition, etc.} coming to you.


-elbj

Oh yeah and for those who know me if you hear me say/sing "And we're drivinnnggg" in the near future you'll know where I got that from.

And scene.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I'm in school at the moment, not doing my work and I just happen to google myself.

I came across this and I am stunned! I had no idea people were blogging me. I was aware that Jack herself found my videos, but dang!

I am so excited right now.
I'm glad you're enjoying my J*Davey covers.


Thank you for the exposure.


D.B.

Anonymous said...

I know!! I found this kid on YouTube by fluke and exactly how you put it, my jaw was on the floor and I was hooked. It made me stop what I was doing too!!! I was just about to watch a movie and instead I spent the night just watching his vids, listening to him sing and actually seeing him live on his blog spot.

I swear to JAH if I was 16 again I would be chasing this boy down!! It's monday and I'm feenin for more alcohol*harmony*...but I can't find his music anywhere!